Monday 27 February 2017

Shoot 3 / Final Images

From doing some artist research on Nan Goldin, I decided I wanted to take a very candid approach to the series, still including this idea of intimacy. I went back and looked over the work of Kiele Twarowski, because she was one of the first artists to really inspire me for this project. Combining the ideas of these two artists I realised I want to capture the unconventional side of intimacy, with the portraits being of the body. However, to make it interesting I wanted to include the aspect of a mirror, as I really liked the piece of work I saw by Kiele Twarowski where she used a mirror to take a photograph of her body.

I wanted to use interesting and somewhat darker lighting in my photographs, inspired by Nan Goldin, as they would be taken in my bedroom and darker lighting is more suggestive. This meant I had to take some test shots to make sure I had my camera settings correct in order to get good exposures.




Annoyingly I didn't write down the settings I had my camera set to for each of these test shots. Although I really liked the darkness and tones of the first image, I thought logically about how it might turn out when printed and decided it probably wasn't the best idea to have such dark images.

Once I had the settings correct I proceeded to do the shoot, and came out with three images I liked the best for my series:

Self Portrait / 9:32pm
Finn / 9:49pm
Intimacy / 10:02pm
I'm actually really pleased with my final images. I took a lot of photos for this shoot but these were my three favourites. I really like the effect of the mirror, because it almost makes it seem like you're getting an inside look, almost secretly. I think these images are intimate, but not in a sexual way, which was what I was trying to achieve.

I didn't want to just include myself in my photographs and I also wanted to make my images have a different, more interesting element than just simply taking them of the skin, which is why I thought it would be interesting to play around with the mirror. 
I chose to take the photographs on the bed because I liked how you could play around with the sheets and bunch them up to create a more candid look.

No comments:

Post a Comment