Tuesday 28 March 2017

After Effects Workshop 3

In today's workshop we were given a list of tutorials we could watch on YouTube and choose to try out ourselves on After Effects, to improve our independent skills.

I wanted to try out something I hadn't worked with before, as a lot were based around shapes, and in our first After Effects workshop we did a lot with the shape tool and making them into logos and adding effects to them. 
Therefore I chose the tutorial on morphing text as I thought it looked interesting but was also something I would be able to do with my skill level. I hadn't really worked with the text element in After Effects before, so I thought it would also be something new to try out and get good at.

Here is the tutorial I watched:


This effect was mainly achieved by using a lot of different elements, such as paths, rotations and key frames. 
I managed to pretty much copy this tutorial perfectly. I feel like I've learnt a lot of different skills from this and would be confident doing it again.

This was my first creation:


This one shows a bit of a more 'computerised' transition, which I was happy with, but as the tutorial progressed it showed more creative ways of making the transition, opening up the possibilities of what I can make the transition look like.

I then made a second one, using more of a rotation idea:



This one is more creative, as you can see there is more of a rotation involved in it, which makes it almost look more complex but it was still fairly easy.
I had to learn how to change the anchor point again, as the letter was rotating off the screen at first, but by changing the anchor point I could keep it to rotating in the center. 

I'm slowly learning all the shortcuts for After Effects also, since the tutorial went through some of the shortcuts to use in order to look at different elements of the composition. Using the shortcuts makes working in this software so much quicker as you don't have to search for what you want all the time, you can simply press a letter key and find what you want.

I want to look at some of the other tutorials by this same user to see what other effects I can try in my free time. Although I don't really have a solid idea for my multi screen yet, I want to keep my options open to what effects I could use within in, so broadening my skills is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment