Saturday 29 September 2018

CAM GIRLZ (2015)

"Cam Girlz enters the world of webcam sex workers who find economic freedom, empowerment, intimacy and creative self expression from the comfort of their own homes"




I came across this documentary whilst conducting some general research on cam girls. It shows a variety of girls who work online as sex workers, letting them tell their stories and explain why they might be in this industry. I found it really interesting to watch and listen to, taking a lot of inspiration from it.

This documentary does really well in not objectifying the women, and allowing them to speak freely about their job and what they do, it doesn't feel uncomfortable to watch. As the sound was just laid over the top it didn't feel intimidating or like they were being questioned, they just spoke as if in conversation with the viewer. 

This documentary has brought me to think about the sorts of questions I would want to ask the girls in my documentary to make them feel comfortable talking about what they do, and not as though they are being interrogated. Also if they are in their own environment they will feel more comfortable in general.

Although I do think in some ways it was beneficial to explore the lives of so many cam girls, I know that in my own documentary I would like to focus on maybe one or two individuals in order to have a more in depth look at their lives and a more intimate feel to the documentary.

This documentary does a really good job at showing a lot of different girls with different views, making you understand that these are humans, not just something people 'get off' to. This is something I want to achieve in my own documentary, bringing realism and making you connect with the subject  

No comments:

Post a Comment