Saturday 12 November 2016

DIY Colour Filters

As I want to experiment with colour in my photographs I attempted to order some coloured acetate from amazon, however they wouldn't be delivered for a while so I decided to make some myself.
I went and bought some translucent coloured file separators as I thought they would be able to give me the effect I desired. However, as they were A4 size, when I held them over the flash they were too translucent to portray any colour.
From some messing around and experimenting, I folded the dividers down twice, and managed to make smaller filters, and when I held them over the flash they actually worked in making the image have a colour filter to it! I taped them down so they'd stay in a smaller size and this is what I am now going to use in addition with my flash.

the final look of the filters I made
I only have five colours at the moment but I think that is enough to begin experimenting with. Making these a smaller size has really improved the effect on the images.

orange filter

red filter

blue filter

green filter

purple filter
Above you can see all the test shots I took in my room, purely to try out what these filters would do to an image. I am really pleased with the results and I want to use these in more of my photographs. 
I also think if I use them in different lighting, or different locations I might get a slightly different effect, or the colour might be brighter, or more subtle.
It's interesting that the red filter made the image appear more of a pink colour. This could be to do with how close I held the filter and how it reacted with the flash, therefore this effect might differ with less lighting in the room, or holding it further away from the flash.

Overall I am really pleased with these results and I can't wait to use them in more of my photographs to see what effects I can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment