Friday 11 November 2016

Editing Workshop

Today I had my first proper editing workshop. The task was to use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit some footage of two dancers into a short clip to get used to the software and editing with music in general.
I haven't used Premiere Pro that much, however I have some basic knowledge of how to use it, which was helpful because I was able to get started pretty much straight away.
The footage was shot by the DFSA group from last year and it varies in angles, lighting and composition. I removed the audio from all of the footage I wanted to use and found a track called 'Can't Stop Me' by ProleteR on Soundcloud, who allows you to download his tracks for free and use them in your own projects. 
The video below is my first initial edit of the rushes to the music I chose. I haven't added any effects to the clips, I simply cut the sections I wanted and edited them to the beat of the music. I am actually very happy with the result.

First Initial Edit of Dance Rushes

Since I was happy with the way I had edited the rushes together, I wanted to look at some effects I could add to each clip, or the movie as a whole. I looked at visual effects and came across the cinematic filters. I chose one called SL Gold Tobacco (Universal) and added it to all of my clips to give them a more golden glow, almost giving the footage a more vintage feel. The screenshot below shows the selection of filters I was looking through.
screenshot of premiere pro

As you can see in the screenshot above, there is a slight colour change since I added the filter, which just gives the footage more of a glow, which I prefer to the harsher white lighting. 

I didn't really have too much I wanted to change with my editing, however I added some effects at the beginning and the end to make the clips fade in and out, just to make it look slightly more professional. 

Second Edit of Dance Rushes

My final edit just consisted of adding some titles to the beginning clips, to make it seem more professional and to credit ProleteR for the music. I was already very happy with how it looked in the edit before, so I didn't really have anything else I wanted to change.

Final Edit of Dance Rushes

The opportunity to edit these dance rushes today was really beneficial for me, as it gave me a longer time to play around with the features in Premiere Pro, and also get used to using it for editing. I now know the basics of how to edit with this software, and would feel confident using it in the future and playing around to figure out some of the other things it can allow me to do.


ProleteR

No comments:

Post a Comment