Thursday 10 November 2016

Experimenting

As I am thinking a lot about experimentation with colour in photographs I wanted to play around with manipulating the lighting in my own photos to see if I could create changes in colour.
I realised that if I cover the flash on my camera with my hand, it creates a red tone in the images which was different and interesting to play around with.


You can clearly see the difference I am talking about in these two images above. The top image I took just using the regular camera flash, which is why the image is very white and bright. However in the bottom image I covered the flash with my hand, meaning it created this red tone over the photograph, which I really like. I just took these photos in my bedroom as test shots.



In these photos above I attempted to gradually cover the flash, which is why the colour gets darker as the images progress. Obviously in the first one I didn't manipulate the flash at all, which is why it's clear and bright. However as the images progress I had gradually began covering the flash, resulting in the last image being really bright.
I really like the second image as it just features some warm orangey tones, which make the image more interesting. I think my favourite is the third image because the colour isn't too dark, but is enough to make an impact on the image.




 I also attempted to take some images of my self, however it was hard to get a good angle when I had to hold the camera with one hand and then try and cover the flash with the other.
The top image is interesting as you can see some of the flash leaked through my hand, which has created this brighter light across the top of the image, which I really like.






 These images above are just some other experimental shots I took whilst messing around with the flash. I think I prefer the lightly toned ones to the harsh white lighting effect you get when you just allow the flash to work normally.

To progress from this I want to look at gel filters and the affects they have on images. I have also ordered some gel filters myself to try out some portrait photography using the different coloured filters. I am excited to try this out and see how it helps my work progress further.

No comments:

Post a Comment