Thursday 24 November 2016

Final Portrait

It was difficult for me to choose a final image, as I was stuck between two options, which I've displayed below. I think both of them are really strong images, and they stood out to me amongst all the photographs I took for this project. I also think they really show development from where I was at the beginning, not really knowing how I wanted to compose the image, or what colour filters I really wanted to use.




I liked both of these photographs in different ways. I used a different colour filter for each, so I couldn't really compare the colours, however I did prefer the brightness of the pink. I loved how close up the second image was, I think it made it feel really personal and somewhat intimate, having the focus just on my eyes. The only thing I would change about the second image is the placement of my head, as I'm not sure that I like how its off to one side, with only negative space on one side of my face.
However, I eventually made the decision to go with the top image, as I feel it shows more emotion through the smile and the slight covering of the face. I also like the central placement of my face, with the space around it not drawing any attention away from the main focus. I also think that the pink filter really compliments the image, and its also really bright which makes my photograph different. It was really fun to be able to use the colour filters and the multi image lens to manipulate my photograph, as we weren't allowed to edit them at all.

Final Portrait Image
1/160
F 3.5
ISO 1600

I am really pleased with my final image. I've managed to create something original with the multi image lens and the colour filters on the flash. I'm also really pleased with the composition of this image and how it has turned out overall. 
My main inspiration was Emily Knecht in the end, as I loved her self portraits and wanted to do something similar with my own spin on it, hence why I am smiling / laughing in my portrait, as I wanted it to be something positive.
I'm pleased that I went with the idea of self portraiture, thinking about intimacy and displaying personality and identity. This image is really expressive, although if I could change one thing I think I'd rethink the idea of intimacy within expression, and work on really capturing that in a self portrait.
Overall, I am really pleased with the research and work I have done for this project, and I'm satisfied with my final image too.

No comments:

Post a Comment