Tuesday 8 November 2016

GIRL GAZE Inspiration

PERSONAL RESEARCH
50 Female Photographers Give the World a Window into #girlgaze

#girlgaze: a frame of mind is a never-before-seen collection of 150 photographs that illustrate a diverse range of female perspectives while exploring themes of sexuality, objectification, body image, mental illness, and addiction. 

I'm so pleased that I stumbled across this creative article when just aimlessly scrolling through twitter one day, because it has really inspired me with my photography project. Although I'm not too sure that the empowerment of women is a specific theme I want to be working with, I think it's still important to recognise this work and I did feel inspired by it in some ways.

The article is mainly explaining what this movement is about, but also features some photographs from female photographers which are relating to this movement and theme.

Purple, by Amaal Said, 20, London, England
This particular photograph that I've attached above was the one that stood out most to me in the article. I love the colour match between the lipstick and the headpiece. It also has slight relation to the backdrop, although the colours aren't exactly the same. The whole photograph mainly features tones of purple, which could have some sort of symbolism for the artist.
Personally, I think colour matching in photographs adds a sense of relation between everything in the image, bringing it all together as one piece. I also love the way a final image can look if everything is colour matched together, it's something I'd like to think about within my own work.

INSPIRATION FROM THIS

The image that I looked at above inspired me to think about the idea of matching colours within my photographs, so I went ahead and found some others that I really liked and felt influenced by.



These three images from above I found on the website tumblr, therefore I cannot credit the artists that made these images. However, I just wanted to look at the colour in the images, and how they subtly link together by the use of the colour within them.


 This image above of the male figure in a yellow shirt against a yellow background is something I could easily re-create for experimentation. I like that even though the colours are very similar, the lighting and shadowing on the background doesn't make it difficult to see the figure of the male body.

When looking into these ideas more I found an article on some photographers that work with colour in new and interesting ways, however I wanted to create a completely new post regarding this, as it was more research that was taking a different turn to what I have already covered in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment