Saturday 3 December 2016

End of Filming Week

This week filming our documentary has been really successful. We were able to get all the footage we wanted which will help us in the editing process.
We weren't able to stick to our initial timetable due to housemates having deadlines and lectures, so we had to revise it and change things around to fit their schedules. Below is the actual schedule we stuck to for the week:


Monday - exterior shots, Ben’s interview, general communal shots, interview with Chris and Callum, Callum and Chris outing
Tuesday - Spike interview, Charlotte interview, Callum interview
Wednesday - reshot Ben’s interview, general communal shots
Thursday - interview Sara, Chris, Liv, Jude and Henry, communal shots in kitchen, interactions with housemates
Friday - review clips to confirm we have all footage we need for documentary

All of our interviews were really successful, providing us with so much more footage than we intended to get. They were really engaging and addressed the questions we were asking really well, however this makes it difficult for us in the editing process because we have so much good footage that we need to refine in order to meet the brief.



Screenshot of an interview with housemate Charlotte
We didn't assign specific roles within the group as we thought it was best everyone had an opportunity to try everything. This meant that we all got to operate the camera and the boom, whilst also directing some interviews and shots that we wanted. We are also going to edit as a group so we can all have an input on the final edit of the documentary.
I operated the boom for one of the interviews and found that I don't like doing that as much as I do like operating the camera or directing the scene, however I do think it was good that I had the opportunity to work with the boom mic as it gave me a chance to try it out and realise that I prefer other elements of filming.
George, Ben and Luca setting up for an interview
Overall, I think that this project was really successful and I enjoyed all elements of filming. I worked with a really good team of people and we managed to really capture all the aspects of our idea so we will be able to edit together a really good documentary. I would definitely work with this group again as I think we were all really motivated and showed a good sense of understanding of how to work together as a team.
I really enjoyed filming the interviews and getting an insight to everyone's thoughts about living with their housemates and how they are dealing with university in general. I think we had a really successful idea for our documentary and I'm excited to see how the final cut turns out.

We are thinking about having a final edit that meets the brief, but also a directors cut since we have so much good footage that we want to include.

No comments:

Post a Comment