Wednesday 18 January 2017

Portraits Research

When looking at the work of Emily Knecht, I found a website that featured a post called Get The Picture: 5 LA Photographers To Know. When looking through this post I found that I really like the work of all of the photographers featured, some more than others. All of their work was really inspiring and will have an influence on the further development of my project.

Carla Richmond
Has been shooting professionally since 2011.
Favourite subject to shoot is strangers.
Least favourite subject to shoot is events.
http://www.go-carla-go.com

Carla Richmond
Looking at Carla's website, I came across her project on portraits, all the images had been taken really professionally, using good lighting and different subjects. The image above was one that really stood out to me because I love the composition and the framing of the whole room. It's also interesting to me that this particular image came under her work for Portraits, when you can't actually see the face of the woman sitting at the table, so it's not a conventional portrait. I really like this idea of pushing the boundaries of what a portrait is, so I think this image really supports that idea.

Emily Knecht
Has been shooting for as long as she can remember.
Favourite subject to shoot is naked girls and barren landscapes.
Least favourite subject to shoot is headshots.

I already looked at the work of Emily Knecht, but it was interesting to see her included in this post. She is definitely one of my favourite artists and I always go back to look over her work.

Chris and Sarah Rhoads (We Are The Rhoads)
Have been shooting professionally as a team for the last five years.
Favourite subject to shoot is people with interesting stories, people in their own comfortable environments.

Kinfolk by We Are The Rhoads
Summer Nostalgia by We Are The Rhoads
The layout of their website alone is very aesthetically pleasing, as well as all the photographs featured. I really enjoyed looking at their work as each of the images has a different subject and composition, making them all interesting in their own ways. I think the images under the heading of Lifestyle, on their site, were really interesting as they all look very candid, but still professionally shot.

I would love to take such interesting and beautiful candid images, which could be a shoot I try out to see how well I get on, and how professional they turn out.

Clara Balzary
Has been professionally shooting for about three years.
Favourite subject to shoot is people outdoors.
Least favourite subject to shoot is posey people.

Clara Balzary 
Clara Balzary
Clara Balzary
I found all of Clara's images really beautiful. Most of her work featured female subjects, which kind of reminded me of Emily Knecht's work under Girls, and they all look really natural and very fun, with all the subjects looking really happy and comfortable around the camera. Some of her work is in black and white, which has a more dramatic effect of the images.
I'm not completely opposed to shooting in black and white, and after looking at her work I am considering this idea, as it makes the images more impacting and dramatic.

After reading the profiles of all of the photographers featured in the post, many of them said they were influenced by or really interested in the work of William Eggleston. I have looked at his work before and found it really interesting, his use of colour was something that really intrigued me as it's so bold and bright, really drawing attention to his images.

William Eggleston
William Eggleston
William Eggleston
Although not a lot of his images feature people, I really love the colour and the lighting shown in his photographs, making them more interesting and dramatic. I really love the warmth that you feel from most of his images, and this is something I'd love to be able to bring into my own images.

The website:

No comments:

Post a Comment