Tuesday 17 January 2017

Portraits: Project 2

This term our portraits project is to create a series of images, rather than one singular one. The theme is still identity, however the idea of exploring identity through a series of images seems more exciting to me.

We had an introduction with Leah Gordon, who showed us a lot of the photographs she has taken throughout her career, which was really interesting and inspiring.
Leah also showed us a film featuring the work of Ruud Van Empel, which was strange but also rather interesting. It showed the work he did with editing images of children into different background spaces. 

For my research before, I looked at Emily Knecht, who did a series of images of herself crying, showing an intimate look into her life and to her as a person. I went back to look at these images again and to see if I could get any more inspiration from them, thinking about identity in a series of images. 
Emily Knecht
I also went onto her website and found another series of images she had taken titled 'Girls'. All of the images were so well presented that I instantly fell in love with this series of work. Once again featuring a level of intimacy, I began to think how the meaning of identity could be applied to each one of these photos, maybe even considering the idea of gender alongside this.

GIRLS by Emily Knecht 
GIRLS by Emily Knecht
GIRLS by Emily Knecht
GIRLS by Emily Knecht
I really love the way in which these photographs have been taken and how they all differ from one another, not all following a pattern.

As for now I can't really think of any ideas that I have for this series of images, however I will continue my research and look into other photographers that might give me some inspiration as to what direction I should head in.

No comments:

Post a Comment