Wednesday 1 February 2017

Pixy Liao - Artist Research

Born in Shanghai, China.
Currently resides in Brooklyn.

Whilst thinking about the idea of intimacy within photographs, I came across Pixy Liao's series called Experimental Relationship. The images were really interesting to look at, and work really well as a series. I love how she has captured the instant relationship between her two subjects through just simplistic imagery.

16x20 Good (Experimental Relationship) by Pixy Liao
Pinch Nipple (Experimental Relationship) by Pixy Liao
Scarf (Experimental Relationship) by Pixy Liao
Under the presentation of these images on her site, Liao talks about what the project means. 
Experimental Relationship (2007- Now)
As a woman brought up in China, I used to think I could only love someone who is older and more mature than me, who can be my protector and mentor. Then I met my current boyfriend, Moro. Since he is 5 years younger than me, I felt that whole concept of relationships changed, all the way around. I became the person who has more authority & power. One of my male friends even questioned how I could choose a boyfriend the way a man would choose a girlfriend. And I thought, "Damn right. That’s exactly what I’m doing, & why not!"
I started to experiment with this relationship. I would set up all kinds of situations for Moro and I to perform in the photos. My photos explore the alternative possibilities of heterosexual relationships. They question what is the norm of heterosexual relationships. What will happen if man & woman exchange their roles of sex & roles of power. Because my boyfriend is Japanese, and I am Chinese, this project also describes a love and hate relationship.
This project is an ongoing project which grows with our real relationship but is never meant to be a documentation.

I really appreciate how Liao has used her own relationship as the subject of her project, making it more personal to her. The images have really nice compositions and the colours are simple, yet vibrant. 
I love the look of these images because although there is not a lot going on in the frame, you can clearly understand the relationship between the two people, and take a lot from the images just at first glance.

I looked at some of the other projects Liao has worked on, and I really love her style of photography. She did a project called Memphis, Tennessee which doesn't really have complete focus on the photography of people, however the images are still stunning and the colours are bold, bringing life to the images.

I think Pixy Liao has a really nice style and I loved looking at her work, although the Experimental Relationship project was the one I got the most inspiration from.

http://pixyliao.com

No comments:

Post a Comment