Friday 15 December 2017

Studio Shoot - My Role

My role within the Studio Shoot was Digital Imaging Technician
This included:
  • Ensuring a digital camera is being used to produce high quality images
  • Understanding the ins and outs of digital cinematography
  • Have a good eye for color
  • Provide support for the camera team to ensure we deliver the best images possible
On the day of the pre-light I drew up my own schedule of the shot list, meaning I was able to have it on me at all times and see what shot would be coming up next. This meant I could sort out what equipment would be needed for the next shot and provide this to Jack, the camera operator. 

Being able to do this meant that as the camera team, we were on top of what we should have been doing and were very organized, so we didn't waste a lot of shoot time fumbling about with equipment and preparing for the next shot, as I was already organized.

I also worked closely with Jacob as DOP to oversee the shots and make sure they were framed correctly and the lighting worked with the color of the footage. We used an external monitor so we didn't have to get in Jack's way, but could also keep an eye on how the shots were looking. This was also handy for our director, Nina, to oversee everything being shot by the camera team.

The camera team also worked closely with Alice as she was in charge of lighting the set. As she set up the lights we monitored how they looked through the camera on the pre-light day to make sure everything looked good and the set was well lit.

Personally I think I worked well within the camera team and as a member of our studio shoot group. I took my role seriously and made sure to communicate efficiently with Nina on the day of pre-light so I could set up and organize the camera equipment so we wouldn't have any delays on the actual shoot days. I also think this role helped me to develop my camera skills and understanding of the equipment as I was constantly aiding the camera team. I definitely feel confident with the use of sliders, tripods and the shoulder grip now as they were the main pieces of equipment we used. I also think I learnt a lot from my peers in the camera team, Jacob and Jack, as they helped me to understand which lenses would be better for which shots, a decision I wouldn't have been to confident making myself. 

The studio shoot has definitely helped me to improve my camera skills, understand what it would be like working on set and how to get the best out of my role. I think the entire thing was a really good experience and I have learnt a lot from my role.

No comments:

Post a Comment