Wednesday 14 March 2018

VFX Edit - Stage 1 & 2

After a few VFX tutorial lessons where we learnt the basics of After Effects, I decided what I wanted to create for my piece.
We have to create an opening sequence or title sequence for a film or tv show of our choice. I decided I wanted to create an opening to The Great Gatsby, as I know the general aesthetic of The Great Gatsby is somewhat complex. 
This is what I wanted to animate and recreate in After Effects
I began this process by creating a new After Effects project and importing the image so that I could use the pen tool to draw around the lines, to create the general image. This was pretty intricate work so it took a few days to finish drawing around the entire thing, since a lot of the lines are small and intricate. I had to zoom in quite a lot to be able to draw the rather complex ones.


The screenshot below shows what I had created once I hid the photo layer. I used my skills with the pen tool to accurately draw all the shapes myself.


Once I had drawn it entirely I changed the colour of the lines to a yellow / gold to match the Gatsby aesthetic.
After this I added Trim Paths to all the lines I had drawn and key framed them all at different times, to give the look that they are drawing themselves. I wanted a variation in timings which is why I varied the keyframes so it would gradually appear at different times.

No comments:

Post a Comment