Tuesday 31 January 2017

Creating an "Imagined Portrait"

Our first task set by our new portraits tutor, Leah Gordon, was to take images from the internet and photoshop them together to create a new imagined portrait, placing a figure into a new context.

I thought about political ideas and my idea stemmed from all the news about the recent presidential election in America.
Donald Trump, the new President of the United States, has already began putting in place discriminatory rules and regulations, upsetting masses of people. I took this idea and began to think about minority groups, that wouldn't usually stand a chance in his eyes. 
This lead me to think about the transgender community, and then to take a more playful approach I thought about the idea of having a Drag Queen as the next President. This is something that would be an amazing achievement, but also something Donald Trump would be completely against, hence my idea of an imagined portrait.

I used famous drag icon RuPaul in my recreation as he is a bold figure in the LGBT+ community, and someone that is fun and has a lot of good opinions politically.

my Imagined Portrait using Photoshop

I'm really pleased with the outcome of my image, as I think I managed to make it look very realistic and normal, considering this is something a lot of people would consider bizarre in politics. I love the idea of challenging the socially acceptable norms, and I think the image of RuPaul as President speaks a lot for itself, as if it ever happened it would mean society had come a long way and we had achieved total equality for everyone, regardless of who they are or how they live their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment