Monday 30 January 2017

Jamie Livingston - Polaroid's Project

http://mentalfloss.com/article/20490/he-took-polaroid-every-day-until-day-he-died

Jamie Livingston
Took a polaroid photo every day for eighteen years using Polaroid SX-70
Died on October 25th, 1997 - his 41st birthday
After his death, two of his friends opened a public exhibition and published his project work on a blog so it can be seen forever. 

http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com

I originally found out about this artist and his work through a video on Facebook. After watching the whole thing I was so amazed by his dedication to his project, taking a photo everyday and making each one different. It was really inspiring to see such beautiful candid photos. 




Each of the photos is different, some being self portraits, some of objects and the environment, and Livingston also documented his illness and his journey with his illness up until he died.

Although not all his photos are portraits, his work really made me think about my portraits project, and the idea of identity. All of his images are very intimate, similar to the intimacy of the work of Emily Knecht, another artist I looked at.
I would love to try and work with polaroids or take some experimental photos on my film camera, just because I love the natural effect you get when you use these sorts of cameras. This could also make a change from my last piece of work, since I relied purely on digital images for that project.

The original video I saw:
https://www.facebook.com/mentalflossmagazine/videos/10154715318727365/

No comments:

Post a Comment