Friday 17 February 2017

Aphex Twin - Sound Research

We looked at an example of the work of Aphex Twin in our sound sessions. I had listened to some of his work before but never really thought about it in detail before we began our experimental sound workshops.

Richard David James, known by his stage name Aphex Twin, is an Irish-born English electronic musician and composer. He is most known for producing work that fits under the genres of acid and techno music. 

The intro to his song Come to Daddy was particularly interesting to me as it is very techno but also not very consistent.


I really liked the intro to this song as it features a lot of different sounds that almost build up tension for the song to kick in. It sounds very futuristic and isn't very consistent in the sounds being used which is something different. The pace starts off really slow too, almost making you wait on edge. Then the voice kicks in, almost sounding like the song is glitching, or being played through really awful speakers as it's very fuzzy. The pace of the music then picks up a lot and the track gets very repetitive in the background, creating a significant beat.
I like how his use of voices is very experimental, not allowing the voice to be too clear.

We were also shown one of his tracks, Gwarek, in one of our sessions. This track comes across very experimental and features a lot of interesting sounds which really drew me to it.


I like how the track doesn't really have a clear structure, it's very all over the place which is something I wanted to convey in my own experimental sound, since I think it would be very fitting for my chosen image.

I'm going to take a lot of influence from the work of Aphex Twin and hopefully apply this when creating my own experimental sound on Adobe Audition.
I am excited to just simply mess around with the effects on the software and see what I can come up with and hopefully create a sound that reflects my chosen image.

No comments:

Post a Comment