Tuesday 14 February 2017

Tutorial with Leah to discuss ideas

Today I sat down with Leah to have a discussion about my ideas for the portrait project so far.
I discussed how I want my idea to be thinking about intimacy and the identity of the body. I showed Leah the first shoot I've done, which was literally a look at skin and a focus on close up images. This shoot was purely to think about the idea of skin as a mean of identity and the markings that are individual to us.

We discussed how it is a good shoot to start with, but now I need to further progress to take more images that will fit in a series, thinking about the idea of identity entirely. I want to go back and look at my artist research, maybe look at some new artists and do some planning for my next shoots which will hopefully bring my project together.

Leah suggested to look at artist Corinne Day, who has taken a lot of unconventional portraits that reveal a lot of skin, but look very intimate as they are not so polished and perfect.

photography by Corinne Day
photography by Corinne Day

I also feel to look at the work of Nan Goldin, thinking about the idea of gritty images and the way she composes her photographs.

From this tutorial I want to go away and look at these two artists, also review the other inspirations I've looked at in the past, and do a few more shoots to hopefully take some final images I am happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment