Friday 10 February 2017

Chosen Image - Experimental Sound

For our experimental sound piece we had to pick an image to inspire our work. I made a blog post including all the images we could choose from previously, but I hadn't made a decision on what image I wanted to use. 

I have since decided that I want my influence to be Obnoxious Liberals by Jean-Michel Basquiat. I've added the image below for reference.

Obnoxious Liberals (1982) by Jean-Michel Basquiat

acrylic, crayon on canvas, 172.7 x 259cm
"Obnoxious Liberals shows Basquiat art at its most political, painted as a direct challenge to the world of rich art collectors that Basquiat had become immersed in. The rich social scene made Jean-Michel Basquiat very uncomfortable and it surfaced in images such as Obnoxious Liberals, with dollar signs and Not for Sale slogans appearing, along with the cowboy hat representing capitalism and exploitation. The figure on the left is Samson and his positioning is also a representation of the exploitation of African people."
While it is common in the contemporary art scene for street artists to successfully combine street art and studio based work, Jean-Michel Basquiat is one of the most spectacular examples of the crossover from street art into the world of fine art. It is clear that Basquiat had a true and unique talent, beginning life as a street artist and then taking that energy and spirit into his studio work while addressing many social issues.

This was my favorite image out of all the options as I really like how there is so much going on, with not too many colors. It has a clear color theme, and after reading about the piece I can understand what Basquiat was trying to achieve through this image.
I think it would be interesting to create a soundscape that represents this image, as it has a messy look to it, which would be interesting to emphasize through sound.

I'm thinking about recording sounds that are loud and repetitive but also fairly basic, making them easy to edit and manipulate in audition to create a totally new sounding recording. I want to express the idea of this scattered imagery through sound, which inspires me to think about fluctuating pitches and effects.

Articles I looked at regarding Jean-Michel Basquiat:

http://www.theartstory.org/artist-basquiat-jean-michel.htm

http://www.widewalls.ch/street-art-legends-best-of-basquiat-art/

http://www.biography.com/people/jean-michel-basquiat-185851#synopsis

https://news.artnet.com/market/jean-michel-basquiat-most-expensive-works-2016-496796

No comments:

Post a Comment